Bolt Action: Approaching Konflikt


I painted some Bolt Action British Commandos a few years ago and that was the closest that I came to actually playing.  I enjoy reading history and have been fascinated by the Second World War since I was a little horrid and cracked open my Grandfather's Time-Life, "World at War" books.  After all of these years I never had anything to do with WW2 wargaming.




It probably has to do with the conflict between an accurate portrayal of history and the freedom to paint armies and figures as I would like to.  I may actually have the chance to meet halfway on these two disparate ambitions when Warlord releases, "Konflikt '47" over the summer.





Konflikt '47 is a Weird War 2 game being developed by Clockwork Goblin Miniatures and Warlord the former supplying the Weird setting and the latter diverging it from their existing Bolt Action game.  I'm easily distracted and acknowledge that if I complete a project it is going to take me longer than it should.  Combining my worst miniature habits into a stunning premptive strike I have picked up a small force of Waffen SS Bolt Action figures (read more unpainted lumps of lead) to get started on.




I wanted a fresh and somewhat challenging painting experience for this project that would hopefully keep it interesting enough to see it through.  The striking, iconic camo patterns that define the appearance of these units sold me on the idea.  I also looked at the advanced hardware that the Germans as a whole were bringing to the field in the late war period and thought that a core force showcasing these innovations would age best moving years into an alternative history.




The autumn-winter patterns with their browns and bright oranges really struck me.  Trying to compact this to 28mm scale may not have translated to truly blending in to the background but on a tabletop or under a photo lamp I'd choose eye-catching over accuracy every time.  In past experience with Imperial guard camo in 40k when I felt that I'd done it correctly the pattern was dull to look at. 

Some WIP including an improved team of radio operators on left.  

For this entry I just wanted to share something new I'm playing around with, spread the word about something new on the horizon and thread some photos of my test models between the big blocks of text in attempt and subject you to my ramblings.  Once I get some more models completed I'll return to the topic and post a "historical" about, SS Division "Quecksilber".


Comments

  1. Cracking start! I quite enjoy a bit of WWW2 myself. I've been focused on Secrets of the Third Reich for quite a while but while I like the fig the rules lack..something. Looking forward to K'47 to see what they offer instead.

    If you are interested I have a gallery of some of my goodies here, with more ideas etc at my main blog - do a search for the WWW2 tag:

    http://tasmancave.blogspot.com.au/p/weird-ww2.html

    I have far too many goodies in boxes waiting for attention. Which they would get if I had an opponent nearby...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. I have more in progress and a couple Russians to test paint as well. Opponents are scarce around here too but I'm more painter, modeller, imagineer than gamer so I'm stil firing at 75% hobby which is healthy. My model output is up but it's like bailing out the ocean; I just grab more.

      Once I get a few more WWW2 pieces complete I have a real hankering for some Old West; But I really want to paint Golden Age Superheroes too. I'll take a gander at your blog; It motivates and inspires me to see other people's projects.

      Delete
    2. I must admit that for WWW2 I'm more a modeller and imagineer too
      Looking forward to seeing more of your goodies in due course!

      Delete
  2. Have you heard any news on a release date for Konflict '47?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mid August is what I've read and a vendor I trust listed the same not very long ago. Hope they manage to keep to schedule. I really need to put up my last progress report and some other stuff; Painting and modelling is easier than painting and modelling while have the foresight to document it.

      Delete
    2. Aha! And so I just came across this to validate your August intel - cant wait!

      http://www.warlordgames.com/hot-off-the-press-konflikt-47/

      Delete
  3. Warlord emailed me to advise that my preorder book has been dispatched!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I like looking at the models but that it so far Paul. I was slow on the draw grabbing the German starter and it got bought out from under me. I think I'd prefer to grab small units rather than go all in as I already have that core late war force built. I do adds to bulk it up and would prefer that to a full drop of models I'm not sure of. I would like one of the walkers and I've been eyeing up the Heavy Infantrymen as well; They look neat!

      Delete

Post a Comment