Since I ran out of miniatures to paint for my Walking Dead project I have been focusing on making terrain pieces to use on the board. Initially my plan was to work at replacing the card counters included in my core set but I have also made some other pieces as well.
I painted the Kings County Sheriff's Department Crown Vic first. I am more inspired by the television series so I based it's appearance on cruiser 134 that Rick and Shane are seen driving around in at the first episode of Season 1. I free-handed the lettering and coat of arms on the doors and went with more of a suggestion of the heraldry than an accurate depiction. It was a fun paint but by the second side of the vehicle plotting the lettering was getting pretty tired.
Next up was a '68 Shelby. The scale is a bit off for a small sports car so I don't have any trouble passing it off as a muscle car or anything in between. I painted it a sporty red with striped detailing and called it a day. This went much faster than the cruiser and gave me my momentum back.
The last of the four diecasts is a modern Ford pickup. It bookends the time period of it's vintage counterpart but it looks more safety boot than work boot. I only painted up for my miniature rednecks after I tore out the mini sound system. No "New" Country thank you very much.
I was also looking at introducing some street furniture. I had considered playing Knight Models Bat Man game last year. I picked up some figures and some small MDF pieces to get me started. I think their sculptor is very talented but they have more to learn about casting than I have patience. I may paint the models because they should look beautiful if prepped carefully but I really didn't like their MDF product. I finally got around to painting up the dumpsters and a phone booth but didn't really like any of them and feel better about building them from styrene when I get around to it. For my painting challenge they still count as painted models but that is about it.
The last item to report on is stand of trees. In Mantic's TWD there is a terrain point system to give you a rough guide on how much stuff you should be placing on your board. I decided I should build forests in 4" and 6" stands to conform to the system. The challenge is to create something that does the job but looks as natural as I can manage either independently or as a larger wooded area when butted up with one another. I used some Woodland Scenics foliage and armatures I discovered in my junk (secennery projects I never got around to but didn't have the balls to throw out) box. For what I got it was a time consuming process to attach clumps piece by piece to the parts I pre-painted but I was really happy with how it turned out and will have to make some more as I continue with the project.