Mending Fences: Park Terrain Part 2



Last post I mentioned that I was excited to add some more elements to the monument, and create a more convincing park scene.  Among the pieces I wanted to get to the table were some fences.  After Halloween last year Micheal's was offloading some cheap, but rather ugly miniature fences.  After my impulse buy I binned them, but dragged them out again wondering if I could make them more functional, and presentable terrain.



To start things off I looked at what I had, and what I wanted.  Out of the box the fence did some things right, and some not so much.  I didn't like the hokey gargoyles.  I found them a bit much, and completely out of place in Generic Park USA.  They were a little too camp for a respectable graveyard too.  On the other hand, each of the columns were capped with a respectable filial beneath the ugly beast's feet  and the wrought iron sections were nicely detailed.  The sections are designed to nest into one another to make longer runs.  This is a mixed blessing.  At a glance it looks quite nice, but there are large openings in each columns and fence corners aren't possible as it is designed. 



The first thing I did was saw off the gargoyles.  I didn't throw them out;  Maybe they will be recycled if I ever build some Mordheim terrain.  This left each column crowned with capstones that looked classy, and more understated;  A good quality for universal terrain.  To improve the stability of the fence sections I based them on plasticard strips.  The only care that had to be observed was allowing for the fence sections to link up without the new bases lapping.  Once the fences were secured to their bases I covered them with sand to give them some texture.

  
Once the structural concerns were addressed it was time for a paint makeover.  For the columns I returned to the, "like marble" texture I used on the monument.  I like the result, and I wanted the columns to match the other piece.  The pale stone was also a strong contrast to the iron rails.  The wrought sections were repainted black over the primer and drybrushed with a blue-black to give them a little more depth.  As with most of my terrain projects the ground was a three value drybrush, followed by static grass flock. 



I'm sure there are better looking fences out there but I'd like to think I made the best out of a bad situation.  The modified fence is a good match for the monument and having a unity in presentation is as important as having nice looking individual pieces of terrain.  I'm happy to place these in my terrain set and that is world's better than having the gargoyle fence sitting unused in my terrain odds box.



I built this with the intention of matching the monument and providing me with a modern park scene for TWD, but there are a few other possibilities as well.  The fence sections could be combined with an old church, and the graveyard modules I made last month.  Again, This would be another gripping scene for TWD, or it would also work with the Gothic models I painted last year. Even my undead for AoS could also use the fence to dress up their mausoleum.  Lots of possibilities are the best possibilities when it comes to terrain.

Comments

  1. Great work on these. They look perfectly fine to me. That last photo really shows them off so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last shot was my favorite too Bryan. I took a couple pics, but this birds eye view over the fence showed the pieces interacting best.

      Delete
  2. Very nice work they look a perfect fit style wise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simon. I'm happy with the new additions, and it's even better when clutter becomes terrain. Before I move forward I'm going to have to do something about my ratty trees. They have been shedding and the cat has been attacking them.

      Delete
  3. You have really transformed those! The opening shot, is that computer generated or your own fair hand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a filter from Prisma, a phone app. I'm actually jealous the app transforms photos so easily when the images I've played with significantly in mspaint can't touch the comic book quality they achieve. I learned about it from one of the members in the Lead Adventures forum.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, I might have to try that. It just echoes the comic style of the Walking Dead so well, a great find.

      Delete

Post a Comment